I am Niyeka Wilson, your principal. We work to ensure the academic growth that our students are capable of and deserve. I am confident that our caring, compassionate, and skilled teachers serving our children we will help our students to soar. We have ambitious goals and a strategic plan to get us there.
As we grow into a full fledge Education Campus (Grades PreK-8th), DCPS has aligned our curriculum to ensure our students rigorous engagement guided by Common Core Standards for College and Career Readiness in both reading and math. At Leckie we cherish and maximize every minute of the school day by spending 120 minutes on literacy instruction and at least 90 minutes or more for math every day. Our students are enriched in special areas receiving Spanish, music, physical education, art and library/media classes. We believe in both working hard and playing hard, which is why our students have a wide variety of after-school offerings including soccer, cheerleading, basketball, chess, Boy and Girl Scouts as well as mentors from the Joint Base Anacostia- Bolling.
I know we all want the best for our children and want them happy and successful in school and prepared for a fulfilling career. What are your dreams and expectations for your child? Whatever they are, elementary school is the foundation. This is where their skills in reading and math are established.
I know I can count on you to support the instructional program by:
- Checking your child’s agenda nightly.
- Look at our new Family Curriculum Guide (See "State Standards" under "Academics")
- Making sure your child reads each night; have him/her read it aloud to you if necessary.
- Making sure your child takes the Accelerated Reader quiz for that book. (See Library Media Center)
- Making sure your child has daily opportunities to use ST Math at home. (See Library Media Center)
With school staff and parents working collaboratively, we will see all of our children develop into strong academicians, who will someday, serve their county well.
Your Leckie Principal,